We recently shared with you 30+ expert SEO tips to generate more organic traffic to your ecommerce site. Specifically, those tips were designed to help you improve the structure and performance of your site so that it not only attracted more visitors, but also kept those visitors engaged longer, improving the chance of conversion.
That list was not exhaustive, however. In fact, we were just getting warmed up. Today, we’ve got 30+ more powerful and effective ecommerce SEO tips for you to implement for even better results. Along with site structure, these tips are designed to help you optimize your content and text as well as promote your brand more effectively.
Let’s get started!
- Include high-converting phrases that are psychological triggers, such as “On Sale” or “Free Shipping.” These have been proven to be effective in maximizing page click-through rate (CTR).
- Make sure you have a minimum of 1000 words of content on all product and category pages. Additionally, each page should include your targeted keyword 3 to 5 times throughout. This can help improve your site’s search engine performance and attract more relevant organic traffic.
- Write product descriptions that are in-depth and compelling. This will serve two purposes: engage your target audience and tell Google how to rank your pages.
- Create posts that compare various products that are trending at the moment. (These are also known as “versus” posts, and they’re great for SEO.)
- Use “trigger words” to drive action and improve sales on your product pages. Use specific language to make your product descriptions more compelling.
- Make blog writing a priority. Recent research from HubSpot revealed that companies producing 16 or more blog posts a month generate the highest amount of inbound traffic.
- Capitalize on holiday shopping season by creating holiday gift guides. A recent study found that this type of content is a huge driver of search traffic.
- Stay on top of seasonal trends and take advantage of these trends to create engaging content marketing pieces.
- Leverage user-generated content to create better product descriptions, more content and improved SEO.
- Write long-form blog posts (i.e. posts that have a higher total word count). Longer blogs tend to rank higher for organic search terms.
- Leverage your blog to create and distribute free content to your audience. For example, you could create free phone wallpapers to give away to your visitors. This can drive traffic and engagement.
- Follow this structure to create more compelling content and stronger descriptions for your products:
- Remember that buyers don’t always purchase right away. Using customized, funnel-based content for each stage of the buying cycle can help move them through the process and improve your chances of conversion.
- Leverage the power of video for your product demos. According to Forbes, incorporating video content onto a site can significantly boost SEO and sales.
- Compare your own products to those of your competitors using head to head product reviews. This is a great tool for showcasing your strengths while also producing quality content that is engaging to readers. Remember – the better your content, the more organic traffic it will attract.
- Make sure your brand is listed on major online review sites, like Yelp. This will help both with local sales as well as organic traffic.
- 85% of consumers today say they trust social proof as much as they do personal recommendations from friends and family. Leverage this by incorporating reviews throughout your site, particularly on product pages.
- Enable online reviews of all of your products to make it easy for your customers to share their experience. This will create social proof and increase the amount of content on your product pages.
- Encourage customers to leave product reviews by setting up an automated drip email campaign.
- Consider using paid search. It can be a powerful driver of brand awareness, which can lead to more organic purchases.
- Use schema markup to include aggregate, star-based reviews next to your products in the search results.
- Harness the power of Amazon by making sure your products are listed and linked back to your website. Research has found that 38% of all ecommerce product searches begin on Amazon.
- Produce quality content and share it frequently to build links. According to Google, content and links are among the most impactful factors in determining organic ranking.
- Reach out to established bloggers in your niche and invite them to review your products.
- Make sure your branding is consistent. This can improve organic CTR, which also boosts SEO ranking.
- Consider guest blogging. This can help with link building, which can drive more traffic back to your site. It can also help with brand awareness.
- Use rich snippets to produce more powerful product descriptions and increase your click-through rate in the organic search results.
- Bid on branded pay-per-click (PPC) terms to ensure that organic searches for your store will result in clicks through to your site.
- Create blog content containing unbiased reviews of products in your niche. For instance, write posts reviewing multiple products including but not exclusive to your own products. This will generate traffic without blatant promotion.
- Consider offering an affiliate program to entice bloggers and other influencers to write about and promote your products on their own sites. This will help in two ways: generate more sales and increase backlinks to your site, which will boost your authority and ranking.
- Look for broken links in roundup posts (i.e. posts like “Top 10 Beauty Products”) that are related to your niche. If a broken link exists, contact the site and ask them to replace it with one of your products.
- Support a local charity or donate to a non-profit. Not only will you be doing a good thing, but you’ll also get valuable natural links, something that Google loves.
- Sponsor a local conference or event to get a backlink from a high-authority site.
- If you have a local brick-and-mortar as well as an ecommerce site, get your company listed on Moz Local. This can drive a ton of traffic, both online and in-person.
- Participate in discussion forums related to your products, like Reddit.
Getting more organic traffic to your ecommerce site takes dedication and strategy. The tips listed above, used in conjunction with our previous tips, should help you establish a solid foundation for positive SEO results. Stay tuned for our final installment in which we’ll cover some of the many tools that are available to make your life a little bit easier.